Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale Reviewed

A couple of weeks ago, my first child turned two years old!  I could not believe it!  The years went by so fast.  We got together for a small pizza party -- she had a larger party back in July.  And my brother brought a very special gift for my husband and I that he knew we would love: a special beer to sample and discuss!  Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale.


Okay, "we" is a bit of a lie because I don't really drink.  But my husband loves trying new beers.  He wouldn't call himself a connoisseur or expert necessarily, but it's a small side hobby he does enjoy.  But my brother IS a bit of a connoisseur in the subject, so when I saw that he had picked something out, I was excited!

Check out that label!

Last year we tried Sam Adams' Harvest Beers and they were all nice and spicy and tasted like fall.  But there is something so exotic about a beer that I had never heard of before.  With a name like "Weyerbacher" it has to be cool, right?

It has a pumpkin-orange color to it.

Since I am currently nursing, I tried a couple quick sips at the party.  I liked it, but didn't have a chance to really savor it in the rush or cake, ice cream and my siblings and their kids packed into our little dining room.  But a week later, we really got to savor it.  The bottle describes the usual pumpkin spices: nutmeg, cardamom, cloves and of COURSE cinnamon.  I wish I could have enjoyed more of it, but at 8% alcohol by volume, I simply couldn't for my baby.


Cheers!

CONCLUSION?  My husband and I both really enjoyed this ale.  It reminds me of Blue Moon, but lighter.  The tastes of the season really stand out and makes me long for the days when even more leaves are on the ground and the trees turn orange and red. :)  If I could, I might have wanted the entire bottle to myself!  It is not overly sweet, nor too spicy.  Its tastes are subtle and ... nice.  I think that is the best word I can come up with to describe it: nice!

Weyerbacher, it turns out, is a brewing company right here in Pennsylvania.  They're relatively young, too, and were founded in 1995!  The brewery is open to tours on Friday and Saturday, where you try 10-15 different beers.  But don't take my word about it, check out their site: www.weyerbacher.com.

Here are more reviews from people who seem to know beer more than me!  Beer Advocatehttp://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/392/25880

No comments:

Post a Comment