Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

My First Pumpkin Pie with Homemade Crust!

I have been wanting to make a pumpkin pie with homemade crust for the longest time!  I just haven't had the guts.  There are so many nuances to keep in mind when making a homemade crust.  You have to make sure you don't overmix, you have to make sure that the butter and water are cold enough, etc. etc.  But then I discovered that joyofbaking.com added a video to their pie crust recipe.  I'm a visual person, and this could help me a lot!

So I watched it here last Saturday night.  I wasn't sure if I was really going to try it out.  But then I woke up Sunday morning and I was ready to go for it that day!
Dough ball before rolling out
After the crust rested for an hour in the refridgerator, I rolled it out and by the mercy of God, it was big enough and didn't crumble apart!  I transferred it to my 9" Pyrex pie dish and put it back in the fridge until I had time to make the pie filling.  It is good to let it get nice and cold because it will bake better, too.


Ingredients!

I decided to make Libby's classic pumpkin pie recipe.  Find it here - or just go off of the can!  The big can makes two pies, and the small 15 oz. can makes one pie.  Thie time around, I made just one pie.

For years, I've used pumpkin pie spice, but I decided that since I had all the spices on hand, I would do it the right way!  Here it is, step-by-step.  Pumpkin pie is one of the easiest pies you can make.

Step One: MIX sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl.


Step Two: Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture.


Step Three: Gradually stir in evaporated milk.



 Step Four: Pour into Pie Shell


Step Five: BAKE in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving. (Sprinkle with nutmeg and/or cinnamon for an extra-special touch.)




First piece!
 
The result was a perfect pie!  I know that sounds conceited, but it really was the best pie I have ever made.  The first piece came out perfectly clean, with no part of the crust sticking to the pan, which never happens.  I was so excited that I did a happy dance!  My husband didn't have any the first night because I didn't have any whipped cream, but he had some the next night.  He loved it just as much as I did, which made me so proud. 

And how does the crust taste?  I liken it to a sweet, crunchy shortbread cookie.  It is so much better than anything you can buy in the freezer section of the grocery store.  It wasn't mushy at all like those can sometimes get after baking.  Plus, since I baked it in my glass pie dish, it baked so beautifully and evenly. I hope that I can make it sometime again soon! I can definitely work on my pie crust technique. :-)

Sources:
Pumpkin Pie: http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/18470/LIBBYS-Famous-Pumpkin-Pie/detail.aspx


Become a fan of My Pumpkin Obsession on Facebook here.

BeatlesFreak

No comments:

Post a Comment